Veal Chop With Celery, Mushrooms, Thyme And Port Wine
– from King's Arms Tavern
Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia
- 4 loin veal chops (10 ounces each)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms (leave very small mushrooms whole)
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- ¼ cup Port
- ½ cup veal or beef stock
- Season the veal chops with salt and pepper to taste. Heat the butter and oil in a large saute pan or skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the veal chops, being careful not to crowd the pan, and sear the chops on both sides until brown. Remove the chops from the pan and set aside.
- Add the celery to the pan, and saute over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the mushrooms and thyme to the pan, and saute for 3 additional minutes. Deglaze the pan with the Port and stock. Season with salt and pepper.
- Return the veal chops to the pan, and braise uncovered, turning once, for a total of 5 to 8 minutes, or until the chops reach desired color. Serve immediately, with the vegetables on top of the chops.